Analysis of uncertainty in measurement - Why?
Knowledge of the uncertainty is a precondition for correctly assessing the results of measurement. Whether threshold values have been exceeded or whether a product meets its specifications can only be determined if the uncertainty of the measurement is taken into consideration. The evaluation of measurements has received clear rules with EN ISO 14253- 1 "Decision rules for proving conformance or non-conformance with specifications". It is required that the uncertainty of measurement is considered when stating conformity. Therefore, measurement uncertainty is a parameter that is becoming more and more important, especially for accredited testing and calibration laboratories.
QMSys GUM Software products are comprehensive tools for analysis of the measurement uncertainty of physical measurements, chemical analyses and calibrations. Whether you are a scientist, metrologist, design engineer, production engineer, test engineer or anyone dealing with measurement accuracy, you need to know only the information that falls within your technical specialty. Our products are the ultimate assistant to your practice, refining it with proven professionalism and reliability. QMSys GUM Software furnishes the statistical analysis, while you furnish the technical knowledge.
The software complies with numerous international guidelines and standards. Some of the most recognized ones are:
- ISO/IEC Guide 98-3:2008 (GUM:1995) Guide to the expression of uncertainty in measurement.
- ISO/IEC Guide 98-3:2008/Suppl. 1:2008 Supplement 1 to the "GUM" - Propagation of distributions using a Monte-Carlo method.
- ANSI/NCSL Z540.2 - U.S. Guide to the Expression of Uncertainty in Measurement
- EA-4/02 Expression of the Uncertainty of Measurement in Calibration
- DAkkS-DKD-3 Expression of the Uncertainty of Measurement in Calibration
- UKAS M3003 The Expression of Uncertainty and Confidence in Measurement
- EURACHEM/CITAC Guide CG 4 Quantifying Uncertainty in Analytical Measurement
- VDA Band 5 Measuring Process Suitability
- ASME PTC 19.1-2005 Test Uncertainty
- ISO/IEC/EN 17025:2005 concerning the evaluation of the measurement uncertainty.
The QMSys GUM Software supports the systematic procedure in building an uncertainty analysis, as requested in the corresponding standards and guides, and reduces significantly the analytical and computational effort.
Editions of the QMSys GUM Software
- GUM Enterprise is the ultimate software tool for precise and accurate analysis of the measurement uncertainty for all types of measurements. It uses three methods to calculate the measurement uncertainty - GUM method for linear models (uncertainty propagation), GUM method for nonlinear models (nonlinear sensitivity analysis, calculation of sensitivity indices of higher order) and Monte-Carlo method.
- GUM Professional is a cost-effective professional software that offers fast and reliable analysis of measurement uncertainty for linear and nonlinear models of the measurement process according to GUM Uncertainty Framework and validation of the results using the Monte Carlo method.
- GUM Standard offers the classical calculation of the measurement uncertainty for linear and quasi-linear models of the measurement process according to GUM Uncertainty Framework.
- GUM Educational has a limited functionality (1 output quantity, maximum 10 input quantities and maximum 50 measurements for Type A) and can be freely used for educational purposes, seminars and workshops.